Three top HVAC apprentices received awards in the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors–National Association Educational Foundation’s first HVAC Apprentice Contest, held Oct. 16-17 in Las Vegas, Nev.
The Foundation’s HVACR Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee members were on hand to set up and judge the contest, which was a highlight of the PHCC–National Association’s CONNECT ’13 Product & Technology Showcase. A portion of the contest was hosted by the College of Southern Nevada’s HVAC program in Henderson, Nev.
This year’s awards went to:
- 1st Place – Tyler Plueger, Norwalk-La Mirada Plumbing & Heating, Norwalk, Calif.
- 2nd Place – Mike Deeben, M. E. Flow, Inc., Leesburg, Va.
- 3rd Place – Robert Monroe, Shapiro & Duncan, Rockville, Md.
Foundation volunteers operating this year’s event included:
- Scott Balmer, ShoffnerKalthoff Mechanical Electrical Service, Knoxville, Tenn.
- David Dugger, ShoffnerKalthoff Mechanical Electrical Service, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Bill Jones, Raven Mechanical, LLC, Houston, Texas
- Craig Lewis, R.E.C. Industries, Inc., Bryan, Texas
- Warren Lupson, Air-Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Institute, Arlington, Va.
- Ron Newman, Lakes Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, Inc., Spirit Lake, Iowa
- Crystal Schnurr, College of Southern Nevada, Henderson, Nev.
- Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Inc., Des Moines, Iowa
The event was made possible by the following generous industry sponsors:
Contestant Sponsors: Air-Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Institute; College of Southern Nevada; Legend Valve; NATE and NIBCO, Inc.
Additional prize and materials sponsors included: Air-Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Institute ; Aireco, Inc.; Channellock; College of Southern Nevada; Copper Development Association; Honeywell; Johnson Supply; Lakes Plumbing, Heating & Cooling; Milwaukee Electric Tool Co.; NetBraze, LLC; NIBCO, Inc.; Oatey; Parker Hannifin Corp.; Raven Mechanical; RIDGID and Tindall & Ranson Plumbing & Heating.