The ASHRAE Epidemic Task Force has developed guidance on the operation of HVAC systems to help mitigate the airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 as schools prepare to reopen for the fall academic year.
The 41-page Presentation includes convenient checklists to prepare educational buildings to resume occupancy such as starting up HVAC systems, as well as checks and verifications to maintain during the academic school year. The guidance is meant to provide practical information to school districts and university campus environmental health managers, facility managers, administrators, technicians and service providers.
The guide includes the following topics:
- Determining Building Readiness
- Equipment & System Specific Checks & Verifications During the Academic Year
- New/Modified Facility Design Recommendations
- Filtration Upgrades
- Operations of Occupied Facilities
- Controlling Infection Outbreak in School Facilities
- Higher Education Facilities Recommendations
Also included is guidance formulated to help designers retrofit and plan for the improvement of indoor air quality and to slow the transmission of viruses via the HVAC systems, as well as new guidance on student health facilities, laboratories, athletic facilities, residence halls and large assemblies, lectures and theatres.
For the complete ASHRAE Epidemic Task Force school reopening guide and other COVID-19 resources, visit ashrae.org/COVID-19.