Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2022 ASHRAE Winter Conference to be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, Jan. 29-Feb. 2, 2022.
With an eye on future resources, the conference seeks to present papers and programs that cover energy and water conservation, reduction of waste and improved indoor environmental quality, while addressing other challenges and opportunities in facilities, applications and processes.
“It is estimated that the world population will grow from 8 billion now to around 9 billion in 2050; global GDP is expected to stabilize at +2%/year. This will increase the need for food, energy and other resources to support a growing population in the coming future,” said Raul Simonetti, chair of the 2022 conference. “The 2022 Virtual Winter Conference will provide an opportunity to examine holistically – that is, at 360 degrees – what we do and the way we do it in order to minimize the impact on our planet.”
The following tracks are developed to support the conference theme of “Holism and Perspectives towards Decarbonization.”
- Buildings use a large share of a country’s final energy, particularly for heating, cooling and various services. Papers in the “Buildings at 360°” track will focus on explaining methods, equipment, systems and solutions to satisfy occupants’ needs, to guarantee buildings’ performances and resilience and to save resources like energy and water.
- Energy is omnipresent in our daily lives in ways like electricity for appliances or heat and cooling for industrial processes. The integration of various energy sources, processes and transportation allows us to better exploit the available energy and reduce waste. “Energy System Integration” track will explore renewables, fossil fuels, grid integration, aggregation, demand-side flexibility, smart devices, IoT, synthetic hydrogen and synthetic fuels, CCUS and electrification.
- Indoor environment is essential for our well-being and productivity, but is often regulated differently in various parts of the world due to local conditions, circumstances, history and traditions. Papers that explain local norms and trends with an eye on energy usage would fit in the “Environmental Health and IEQ in the International Arena” track.
- The “HVAC for Industrial and Commercial Purposes” track will focus on papers that examine the challenges and opportunities in improving energy efficiency of commercial and industrial facilities and transferring learned lessons to other types of facilities.
- Refrigerants play an important role in maximizing performances and minimizing direct and indirect GHG emissions. The “Refrigerants, Safety and Performance” track will focus on papers that present advancements and developments about flammability of refrigerants that can reduce the direct emissions, but that may have safety, regulatory and performance issues when deployed on the field.
- The “Refrigerants and Refrigeration” track will explore refrigeration systems, which generate and use cold for a range of processes, from food preparation and conservation, to vaccine preservation, to long-term protection of fragile ancient inks of historical documents and others.
- The “HVAC&R Systems and Equipment” track will focus on the development of new systems and equipment, improvements to existing systems and equipment and the proper application and operation of systems and equipment.
- The “Fundamentals and Applications” track will provide opportunities for papers of varying levels across a large topic base. Concepts, design elements and shared experiences for theoretical and applied concepts of HVAC&R design are included.
Abstracts (400 words or less) are due April 5. If accepted, final conference papers (8 page maximum) are due July 12.
In addition, technical papers (complete 30-page maximum papers) are also due March 29.
Accepted conference papers and technical papers are published in ASHRAE Transactions, cited in abstracting indexes and considered for ASHRAE’s research journal.
For more information, visit https://ashrae.org/2022Winter.
In conjunction with the ASHRAE Winter Conference is the 2022 AHR Expo, to be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center Jan. 31-Feb. 2, 2022. For more information, visit https://www.ahrexpo.com/.