Thermostat Recycling Corp. recently named Johnstone Supply, Famous Supply and Geary Pacific as 2021 Banish Mercury Off the Planet winners.
The annual competition among Heating Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Distributors International members recovered 239 pounds of mercury from 70 member companies, increasing more than 16 pounds from last year. In addition, more than 380 branch locations returned collection bins during the contest period, from May 1 to Oct. 31.
“Our distributor partners never stopped collecting and safely recycling mercury-containing thermostats despite all the difficulties during the coronavirus pandemic,” said Danielle Myers, operations & compliance manager, TRC. “They have demonstrated good business awareness and sound environmental practices year after year. In the collection of mercury-containing thermostat recovery, there is no equal to HARDI distributors.”
TRC released the names of the BMOP winners during HARDI’s Annual Conference, Dec. 6.
Distributor prize winners are:
- Johnstone Supply recycled the most pounds of mercury at 87.8
- Famous Supply recycled the highest average pounds of mercury with 3 pounds
- Geary Pacific had the highest participation rate of 34%
Top 3 branches for recycling
- Geary Pacific, Riverside, California: 8.816 pounds
- G. W. Berkheimer Co., Aurora, Illinois: 8.525 pounds
- R.E. Michel, Norristown, Pennsylvania: 7.948 pounds